Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Initial Reactions About Osama Bin Laden's Death

Friends, I have heard many reactions to the news that Osama Bin Laden has been killed.  I would like to give my two cents worth on the issue.  Many people I know posted angry, hateful, and racist comments.  I believe this is definitely taking it too far.  However, some people also said things like, “I can’t believe anyone would celebrate another man’s death!”  I feel this is not the proper reaction either.  In my opinion, there has to be something better that is somewhere in the middle.

First, I heard several of my friends say things like, “Now he is burning in Hell just like he deserves!”  I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Osama IS indeed burning in Hell as you read this.  However, we must remember that according to Romans 3:23, 6:23 and many other Bible verses, we are all sinners and we all deserve to die and burn in Hell for those sins just like Osama Bin Laden.  No one can have eternal life except by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.  We negate God’s grace and promote salvation by works if we say that he deserves to go to Hell but we don’t because we are good people.  Salvation can never be earned by good works nor made impossible by any number of evil deeds.

So, how do I feel about the fact that he is in Hell right now?  I’m not happy about it, but I definitely don’t feel sorry for him!  Osama Bin Laden had spent a lot of time in western cultures.  I can’t prove this, but I would be shocked if he hasn’t heard the story of Jesus at some point in his life.  But as we all know, he CHOSE to reject Jesus and follow Muhammad and his version of god they call Allah.  These beliefs led him to cause the deaths of thousands of people around the world.  The world is a better, safer place without him in it.  I think he got exactly what he deserved in this life and the next.  

So, am I just a cold-hearted person?  Absolutely not!  As a Christian, I feel a tremendous burden for the billions of lost people around the world who would be sent to hell if they died today.  The people I feel the greatest burden for are those who have never heard the Gospel!  The billions around the world who have absolutely no access to Scripture or another human who could tell them about Jesus are the ones I feel sorry for.  This is summed up in Romans 10:13-17:

 "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?  And how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard?  And how are they to hear without someone preaching?  And how are they to preach unless they are sent? … So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.”

It is my goal in life to get the Gospel of Jesus Christ to these people!  These people are not able to hear the Gospel because religious leaders like Osama Bin Laden refuse to allow their people to hear anything other than their own radical beliefs.  Thousands of missionaries and evangelists are willing to go into these countries and spread the Good News if only the doors were open!

Anyway, rather than focusing on Osama being  in Hell, I choose to focus on the purely positive fact that a major threat to the United States and people around the world can no longer do us any harm.  In summary, I believe that as Christians we should never celebrate someone being killed and sent to Hell because we all have sinned and deserve the same fate.  However, as an American i am immensely full of joy that one of the greatest threats to our lives and freedoms has been eliminated.  GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Thanks so much for reading!  Please let me know what you think!  Have a great week.

In Christ,
Steve Stockwell
Galatians 2:20

P.S. I thought I had found him last summer in Africa! This mural was on the side of the road in the 99% Muzlem town I was arrested in last summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment