Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's

Hello, today I want to share something I originally heard from Ravi Zacharias. He is a brilliant apologist and I highly recommend looking up some of his work if you don’t know him very well. I want to talk about Jesus’ response in Luke 20 where the priests tried to trick Him by asking about taxes.

“Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?” But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them, "Show me a Denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?" They said, "Caesar’s." He said to them, "Then give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

I think this passage brings up a question, and shows you how to find the answer to that question. Jesus says, “give to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” The coin is Caesar’s because it has his image on it, but what is God’s? Logically, what is God’s must be something that has God’s image on it. I believe this is what Jesus would have said if somebody had asked Him “what is God’s?”

Genesis 1:26,27 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” So God created man in his own image.

We are God’s own possession and He proved this by “branding” us and stamping His own image and likeness on us. Therefore, we are to give to God what is God’s. We are to give up ourselves and follow God. This is summed up by my life verse, Galatians 2;20. “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. I pray that everyone has a blessed week!

In Christ,
Steve Stockwell

No comments:

Post a Comment