Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jealous God

Hello everyone, I hope you had a merry Christmas and a great start to the new year! Today I want to write about an attribute of God that I’ve had issues with. This is jealousy.

Exodus 20:4-5, “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God.”

Jealousy is considered such a negative characteristic. How can our perfect, holy, loving God be jealous? I think many people struggle with this word. In fact, this is where we lost Oprah! Oprah said that she absolutely refused to believe in a jealous God. I believe the problem is based on an improper definition of the word jealousy.

Jealousy has different meanings. Jealousy is most frequently used as a synonym for envy or covetousness. He is jealous of his neighbor’s new car. This is obviously not how God is jealous.

Another meaning for jealousy is being vigilant in guarding something or someone. This is generally considered controlling and possessive and a very negative human characteristic. However, we need to be very careful when comparing characteristics of humans to those of God. This is how I view the jealousy God has for us.

How many times have you watched a friend make mistakes that negatively affect their lives? Do you just sit back and watch, or do you care enough to tell them the facts and tell them that they are going down a path that leads to destruction? This is jealousy for their well being. Knowing what can benefit someone, and helping them achieve it. We can only understand God’s jealousy when we consider who He is.

God is perfect. He is holy. He wants the best for us. Jeremiah 29:11, “I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” The only way we can be fulfilled, joyous, and successful is to submit ourselves to God’s will. He wants to bless us, but He is pained and disappointed when we go astray because He knows that any path other than following Him leads to destruction. God is jealous for us because He knows that following Him is the only way good things will happen for us.

I am full of immense joy when I consider that the God of the universe cares enough about me to be jealous for me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! i pray that you have a blessed week!

In Christ,
Steven Stockwell

No comments:

Post a Comment